A senior White House official said Wednesday that he would resign after his two ex-wives accused him of physical and emotional abuse, with one presenting pictures of her blackened eye.\r\nThe official, Rob Porter, served as the staff secretary, a title that belies the role\u2019s importance in any White House \u2014 but especially in President Trump\u2019s. Porter functioned as Chief of Staff John F. Kelly\u2019s top enforcer in their shared mission to instill discipline and order in what had become an extraordinarily chaotic West Wing. He was the gatekeeper to the Oval Office, determining which articles and policy proposals reached the president\u2019s hands and screening the briefing materials that his visitors shared with him.\r\nAides had been aware generally of accusations against Porter since late last year, White House advisers said, but learned of the specifics late Tuesday when approached by a reporter from the Daily Mail, a British tabloid, which first detailed many of the allegations. Porter\u2019s ex-wives said they informed the FBI in January 2017 of their allegations against him while they were being interviewed by agents as part of Porter\u2019s security clearance review. It was unclear when or whether the FBI informed the White House. The FBI did not respond to a request for comment.\r\nPorter said on Tuesday that he would resign, after the allegations were first published, people close to him say, even as he told White House officials he had never physically abused women. But he was talked out of it by Kelly and others, according to these people, with Kelly saying he believed Porter\u2019s denials and saw him as a valuable ally in the White House. Kelly continued to press him to stay in his job Wednesday, saying he could weather the storm, but Porter decided the controversy had become too much after the photos of his ex-wife\u2019s blackened eye appeared Wednesday morning.\r\nIn interviews with The Washington Post and other media outlets, Porter\u2019s ex-wives described him as having a dark side and, at times, a violent streak that White House aides say they did not see.\r\nPorter\u2019s first wife, Colbie Holderness, said in an interview with The Post that he was continually abusive during their marriage. She alleged he punched her in the face during a trip to Florence in 2005 and provided photos showing her with a black eye.\r\n\u201cHe threw me down and punched me in the face,\u201d she said. Holderness said she had insisted that he take pictures of her bruised eye after the assault and he agreed. \u201cHe was trying to make it up to me, and I said I wanted evidence if this should happen again.\u201d\r\nThe Washington Post.