Today's picks

    Partygoer left museum with thumb from statue

    Federal authorities say a guest at a Philadelphia museum’s Ugly Sweater Party in December slipped into a closed exhibit and snipped off part of a sculpture.
    More precisely, the intruder took a thumb — from a $4.5 million terracotta warrior that’s part of an acclaimed exhibit on loan from China at the Franklin Institute.
    He also took a selfie.
    The thumb came from the life-size clay soldier known as the Cavalryman.
    The soldier was part of a “Terrracotta Army” that provided after-life security at the burial complex of China’s first emperor, Qin Shihuangdi. The statues, which date from around 209 B.C., are on display at the museum through March 4.
    Adding to the ignominy: The Cavalryman wasn’t the victim of a daring burglar who rappelled down from a skylight.
    Instead, a young man in a long-sleeved green sweater and a Philadelphia Phillies cap simply walked into the darkened exhibit during a Dec. 21 “Science After Hours” party, said an affidavit by FBI Special Agent Jacob Archer.
    A surveillance video shows the guest alone with “a priceless part of China’s cultural heritage,” reported Archer, a member of the FBI’s Art Crime Team, who once pursued drug dealers and other criminals in South Jersey. 
    The exhibit contains 10 statues, including a general, a charioteer and a saddled horse.
    Gold ornaments, jade pieces and coins are among more than 170 accompanying artifacts.
    The security system, on the other hand, was not impressive.
    A door to the exhibit was closed, but apparently unlocked. Beyond that, the intruder had to figure out how to get past a black rope hung between stanchions.
    in a statement Wednesday night, the Franklin Institute said “standard closing procedures were not followed” by a security contractor on the night of the party.
    “As a result of this incident, we have thoroughly reviewed our security protocol and procedures and have taken appropriate action where needed,” the institution said.
    The facility also said it has “multiple levels of security in place to ensure the safety of our artifacts” and noted an internal investigation gave the FBI “the information necessary to identify the suspect.”
    Archer’s affidavit, filed Friday in federal court in Philadelphia, says the alleged intruder — Michael Rohana of Bear, Del. — entered the room briefly, then apparently invited two friends at the party for a private tour.
    Surveillance video shows the trio entered the exhibit at 9:15 p.m., with Rohana’s friends leaving quickly. But Rohana allegedly lingered for a few minutes, using his cellphone as a flashlight to look at the figures.
    At one point, he stepped onto a platform holding a warrior, “placed his arm around that sculpture and took a photograph of himself with the sculpture,” Archer said.
    source: USA today