A federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit filed against Irving ISD, the city of Irving and several individuals by the father of a teen who was arrested after bringing to school a homemade clock that was mistaken for a bomb.
The federal lawsuit had alleged that Ahmed Mohamed’s civil rights were violated in September 2015 when Irving police officers took him into custody at MacArthur High School and charged him with making a “hoax bomb.” The then-14-year-old was also suspended from school for three days.
The charge against Ahmed was later dropped. The boy and his family have since moved to Qatar.
The suit, filed by Mohamed Elhassan Mohamed on behalf of his son, had asked for unspecified damages. It had been amended twice since it was initially filed in August 2016.
U.S. District Judge Sam Lindsay on Tuesday ordered that the suit be “dismissed with prejudice” and that “all relief requested by plaintiff is denied.”
Lawyers for Ahmed Mohamed did not return calls for comment Wednesday.
In a statement released Wednesday, the city of Irving said that it is “extremely pleased by the court’s ruling, which supports the justifiable actions taken by the officers in the matter. We remain committed to ensuring the safety of all Irving residents and schoolchildren.”
Katie Long, the attorney for Irving ISD, said in an emailed statement that the district was “pleased the court had dismissed the case in its entirety” and that it had recognized that there was no basis to the claim that “Irving Independent School District or any employee discriminated against this student on the basis of race or religion.”
“The Court’s Order confirms that there is no plausible claim that Irving ISD or its employees violated anyone’s constitutional rights. Irving ISD is committed to the safety, well-being, and equality of all students,” the statement said.