Local News

    ‘We are just so grateful’: Two NYPD cops wounded in shootout with Queens domestic violence suspect leave hospital alive and well

    Two NYPD officers wounded during a shootout with a Queens domestic violence suspect got the best Thanksgiving present of all Thursday morning as they left the hospital to raucous applause from fellow cops, family and friends.

    Officers Joseph Murphy and Christopher Wells were wheeled out of Jamaica Hospital to a crowd of supporters, covered in bandages but otherwise looking upbeat.

    “We are just so grateful these officers are going to be able to get home, sit on the couch and watch some football with their beautiful families,” said NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea.

    Wells suffered a fractured femur and Murphy was struck in both hands during the wild Tuesday afternoon shootout in Springfield Gardens with CUNY peace officer Rondell Goppy that erupted as the two cops tried to escort his abused wife home.

    Sharon Goppy, 41, had shown up at the 105th Precinct stationhouse Tuesday morning and told cops her husband had choked her during an argument over infidelity the night before, officials said.

    Wells and Murphy escorted the wife back to her 179th St. home near 145th Drive so she could pack her belongings and go to her sister’s home, where the couple’s two children were already staying.

    But husband Ronald Goppy, also 41, came barging in about six minutes later and opened fire. The wife retreated to the basement as both cops returned fire, hitting the suspect six times and killing him.

    Mayor de Blasio said Tuesday that Sharon Goppy would have been killed if the officers weren’t there.

    “Today they saved that woman’s life,” the mayor said. “I want to be crystal clear — because those cops were there, that woman is alive.”

    It’s not yet clear if Murphy, whose two hands were heavily bandaged, will be able to recover the strength needed to fire a gun.

    But it was all smiles on Thursday for the 105th Precinct domestic violence officers.

    “When you see the emotions you see here, it’s no surprise to know what we’re grateful for,” Shea said.

    The officers’ families declined to comment as they climbed into a van.

    Police Benevolent Association President Pat Lynch said it was “especially joyful” to see the two officers head home.

    And he asked New Yorkers to be thankful for “the women and men that stand behind me and keep us all safe and protect each and every one of us not only on this holiday but every day.”

    One man, who declined to share his name, was so moved by the cops’ recovery that he drove all the way from Freehold, N.J. to pay his respects.

    “This is something special,” said the teary-eyed man, whose father was a cop. “They (police) get a bad rap all the time and I know that some of them are — but not all of them.”

    Goppy and his wife had been involved in several other domestic incidents, police said. In July, authorities took his three registered guns away from him because he was talking about killing himself.

    He got his guns back in September after he was cleared by two doctors, a police official said. That incident is being reviewed as part of the NYPD’s investigation of the shooting.