After the salmonella scandal, "Kinder" is back

18 September, 2022
Share with a friend

After the salmonella scandal, "Kinder" is back

The Belgian factory affiliated with the giant "Ferrero" group in the chocolate industry, which was implicated in a salmonella contamination scandal in its products last spring, obtained "final" permission from the local health authorities to resume production, after three months during which it was under surveillance.


The group's announcement was confirmed on Friday by a spokeswoman for the Belgian Agency for the Safety of the Food Chain, in statements to AFP.


"All the results of the analyzes of raw materials and finished products were in accordance with specifications, and the inspection tasks went well," said spokeswoman Allen van den Broek, noting that the final authorization was issued Thursday. The factory of the giant Italian company known globally, especially with the brands Nutella and Kinder, in the Belgian city of Arlon had obtained a permit in mid-June to resume production under certain conditions, after it had been closed since the eighth of April after the scandal was exposed.


The Belgian Agency for the Safety of the Food Chain has requested that it be able to carry out regular analyzes of the ingredients used and the final products before they are put on the market.


Ferrero said Friday that the group worked under the supervision of the Belgian Agency for the Safety of the Food Chain for three months using improved testing and quality protocols.  

"The granting of the production license means that everything is ready to resume production with confidence at the Arlon plant," it said in a statement.


The Belgian agency noted, however, that the factory will be "closely monitored" over the next year, with more frequent unannounced checks than required by standards approved with chocolate makers.


Share with a friend