UN envoy to Yemen hopes to extend truce beyond June 2

18 May, 2022
Share with a friend

UN envoy to Yemen hopes to extend truce beyond June 2

The UN envoy to Yemen, Hans Grundberg, welcomed the two-month truce in force in the country that was announced on April 2, hoping to continue beyond June 2, following a closed-door meeting of the UN Security Council.


Grundberg said during a video conference that the truce is "holding at the military level," noting that "during the past six weeks, civilian casualties have decreased significantly, the battles have decreased, and no air attack has been launched from Yemen across the border, and no confirmed air strike has been carried out. in the country.


He referred to "information indicating the arrival of more humanitarian aid, including at front lines that were previously very difficult to reach," welcoming "a noticeable positive impact on the daily lives of many Yemenis."

He pointed to "information received daily about armed confrontations that cause civilian casualties that cannot be verified from independent sources," stressing the importance of making all efforts to avoid escalation.


"I am working with both sides to overcome challenges and ensure the extension of the truce, whose effects are supposed to expire within two weeks," he said.


Share with a friend